RECIPE - Harissa & Tumeric Braised Chicken with Chickpea, date & Lemon Cous Cous
INGREDIENTS Serves 6
1½ tbsp Olio Bello Harissa
Olio Bello EVOO
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
6 chicken breasts (approx. 1.8kg)
2 onions – finely chopped
1½ tsp ground ginger
1½ tsp ground turmeric
2 dried bay leaves
2 tbsp tomato paste
600g canned chopped tomatoes
1 cup capsicum strips (red & green)
Torn coriander leaves
300g (1½ cups) instant couscous
1½ cups boiling chicken stock
400g can chickpeas – rinsed & drained
300g fresh dates – pitted & sliced
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1½ tbsp finely grated lemon rind
1 cos lettuce – outer leaves discarded, leaves separated & washed to serve
- Combine harissa, ¼ cup olive oil, garlic, 1 tsp salt & ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl, add chicken breasts & using your hands, turn chicken to coat. Cover with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat 2½ tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, add onions & stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until light golden. Add spices & bay leaves & stir for another minute or until fragrant, then set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large frying pan & cook chicken in batches, over high heat for 2 mins on each side or until light golden. Transfer chicken top onion mixture in pan, add tomato paste, tomatoes & capsicum, then simmer, covered, over low-medium heat for 15 mins or until chicken is just cooked. Season to taste, then stir in coriander.
- Combine couscous & stock in a bowl, cover & stand for 10 mins or until liquid is absorbed, then fluff couscous with a fork.
- Heat better in a large frying pan. Add couscous & remaining ingredients & stir over medium heat for 3 mins or until hot. Season to taste with sea slat & freshly ground black pepper, then serve immediately with cos lettuce & chicken braised with harissa & turmeric.